All mothers gain weight during their pregnancy, but where do they gain it, how much is a healthy amount to gain, and how much weight is TOO much?
In this article, Dr. Alan Lindemann, an obstetrician from North Dakota nicknamed the “Rural Doc” who has over 40 years of experience, over 6000 babies delivered, will discuss weight gain during pregnancy and we are fortunate to have OBGYN Dr. Alan Lindeman's Top 8 Questions & Answers on Weight Gain During Pregnancy.
1. Why do pregnant women gain weight (outside of the baby's weight)? Women need to gain weight during pregnancy for several reasons:
2. In which areas of the body do women usually gain weight during pregnancy? Mothers gain weight in their breasts, uterus, placenta, amniotic fluid, blood volume, skin and fat (subcutaneous tissue).
3. How much weight can you expect to gain during your pregnancy? Mothers can expect to gain 32 to 35 pounds in pregnancy. Women who weigh less than one hundred pounds need to gain a little bit more, and women who weigh more than 200 pounds need to gain a few pounds less.
4. How much is TOO much weight gained during pregnancy? If you have one baby in your uterus, more than forty pounds would probably be considered too much most of the time. Remember that if you start your pregnancy weighing less than one hundred pounds you should expect to gain a little bit more than 33 to 35 pounds.
5. Should I try to lose weight during pregnancy? Generally speaking, you should not. Why? Because you want to avoid ketones at all costs during pregnancy. Ketones are a chemical your body produces as an alternative source of fuel from your stored fat; unfortunately, high ketone levels can affect your baby’s cognitive abilities. Ketones are created when you don’t eat, such as when you are sleeping, dieting, or fasting, and may also become a problem if you are unable to eat or are vomiting. To avoid problems with ketones, eat frequently. I recommend three large meals and three or four smaller meals a day.
6. What should I do if I'm overweight or underweight before pregnancy? If you are overweight when you start pregnancy — for example, more than 200 pounds — you should probably consider gaining only 25 to 27 pounds during pregnancy. If, on the other hand, you weigh less than 100 pounds, 35 to 38 pounds during pregnancy would probably be a better choice.
7. What foods should women concentrate on eating during pregnancy? During pregnancy remember to try to balance all meals with three things: protein, fat, and carbs.
8. Should you listen to food cravings during pregnancy? Should you ignore cravings to keep weight down? I am of the opinion that cravings are actually good for you. I think it’s important for you to listen to your body and eat what your body tells you to eat. Common cravings include pickles and ice cream. Ice cream in small amounts is good for you as it has a lot of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. If you want to eat ice cream, I suggest you eat real full-fat ice cream. It’s not unusual to crave sweet and sour together, so pickles are not a surprising addition to the ice cream.
Contact Dr. Alan @:
Michelle Tennant & Klaudia Simon
Wasabi Publicity, Inc.
About Dr. Lindemann:
An obstetrician and maternal mortality expert, “Rural Doc” Alan Lindemann, M.D. teaches women and their families how to create the outcomes they want for their own personal health and pregnancy. A former Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of North Dakota, he is currently a clinical faculty member available to serve as preceptor with medical students in rural rotations. In his nearly 40 years of practice, he has delivered around 6,000 babies and achieved a maternal mortality rate of zero! Learn more at LindemannMD.com and PregnancyYourWay.com.
Online Press Kit: dralanlindemann.onlinepresskit247.com
Is it challenging to find supportive resources in your area? Try our FOZA Finder: If you are in a perinatal or postpartum period, or you are a caregiver, you can request that we make a private search within your community for specific services. No sensitive information is required. You only need provide your email address and zip code and the nature of your request. FOZA will search your community, within 1-10 miles of your zip-code and send you the contact information on the category of service(s) you are seeking. You can also connect with our FOZA Facebook page and send a Private Message to request FOZA Finder Services.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.